Romsey pulled off a thrilling win with a stunning last over against Bacchus Marsh in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.

Chasing 200 for victory, it looked unlikely with six balls remaining and still 15 runs needed.

But Romsey was confident it was still in with a shot.

With captain-coach Ben Way and Taylor Stevenson both set at the crease, Romsey gave it a crack.

Stevenson went early in the over but Romsey got across the line, hitting the winning runs on the second last ball to finish 5-201.

Way said they knew early on that if they were to win the game it would likely come down late in the day.

“Two hundred is always a tough chase,” he said.

“We were behind the run rate early on and if we were going to get there, it would be off the last over.

“We had to make 85 off the last 10 overs and had been going at a pretty good rate.

“We were set and threw everything at it.”

The 15 runs needed off the last over proved to be no challenge for one of the competition’s best players – Way led the way for Romsey, finishing 79 not out, with five fours and four sixes.

Way said the win was important after Romsey dropped its season-opening match.

He said the match was an early 12 point game, with Bacchus Marsh, the two-time reigning premier, expected to be among the mix again.


Photo by Damjan Janevski.

PHOTO GALLERY: Bacchus Marsh vs Romsey

Romsey has made the semi-finals the past two years and is sticking with a similar line-up as it tries to go at least one step further.

“It’s a similar looking side with a couple of young fellows coming through,” Way said.

“We want to keep on coming through. It’s important to get early wins on the board.

“A couple of years ago we lost our first four matches and were doing the chasing all season.

“If we can get ahead early, it will make the second half of the season [easier] … We’re hoping to have a good run in the one-dayers, it’s important.”

Way said Matt Milne, Alfie Miles and William Collins were the younger players they expected to keep on improving.

Miles has come in and taken on the wicketkeeper duties.

“We’ve gone from having a 40-year-old keeper to having a 16-year-old,” Way said.

In other matches, Diggers Rest remains unbeaten, having accounted for Riddell.

The Burras made 8-184 from their overs, before restricting the Bombers to 125.

The Burras shared the runs and wickets around.

Gisborne won its second match, beating Sunbury United.

Chasing 6-161, Gisborne finished 2-162 on the back of 88 not out from Mick Allen.

St Anthony’s match with Woodend ended in a draw, with the game not finished.

St Anthony’s and Bacchus Marsh are both without wins after two rounds.