Melton pulled off a stunning comeback to beat the Sunbury Lions in a Ballarat Football League elimination final.

For nearly three quarters, the Lions looked the likely winners and were 20 points up at the last break.

Something clicked for the Bloods in the final quarter and they kicked six goals to one to snatch the win 11.11 (77)-9.11 (65).

Melton coach Aaron Tymms said after the game he thought they may have been in a bit of trouble.

A goal just before three-quarter time would prove vital.

“At three-quarter time I thought we were almost done,” he said. “To bounce back like that was exceptional.

“I thought we had a little bit of momentum [in the third] but they were able to keep pegging one back in the course of the quarter.

“It was really important to get that goal and be within distance. One more we might have been out of reach.”

The last quarter was all the Bloods – they dominated the contest and once they hit the front, there was no looking back.

Tymms said the big difference was getting their hands on the ball.

“We had only had 11 scoring shots in the entire three quarters and I think we had 12 in that last quarter,” he said.

“Once we get on a roll the boys keep ticking on.

“I had the shakes going half way through the last quarter.”

Tymms said Lachie Walker was clearly their best in the win and Matt Denham also played well.

Tymms said they should take confidence into the rest of the finals.

Luck was on the side of the Bloods, who despite finishing fifth, have secured a double chance as the highest placed winner from the elimination finals.

They now face East Point in a semi-final this week for a spot in the grand final.

“There’s a little bit of stress off now, knowing it won’t be the end if something goes pear-shaped.”

Darley’s season is over after losing to Redan.

It was a disappointing day for the Devils, who were out of the game early on.

The Devils trailed by 41 points at half time, with Redan continuing on in the second half.

Shane Page was the Devils best.