A poor 15 minutes before half-time cost Gisborne victory in FFV state league 4 west.

The Sky Blues looked good for most of the game against Altona North but one poor period, during which they conceded three quick goals, proved costly.

It meant a 2-0 lead turned into a 3-2 deficit. That would be the final score.

Sky Blues’ coach Danny Ciantar said it was disappointing that such a short period of play was the difference.

“We outplayed them in the first 30 minutes and scored two beautiful goals,” he said.

“The last 15 minutes of the first half we fell apart. They scored straight after we scored our second goal and they lifted.

“They then scored from a penalty and a free kick.

“After half-time nobody could score or break the deadlock.”

Ciantar said he was pleased with how the group responded in the second half. They played some really good football without converting.

Connor Maxwell and Joseph Cavoli were the goalscorers for Gisborne.

While disappointed not to come away with any points, Ciantar said they would take a lot of positives out of the match.

“It’s early days and they are supposed to be the favourites for the league.

“We were competitive and gave them a scare. I always thought it would take a few games for the players to adjust to the pace and pressure at this level.

“We just need to get better in certain areas.”

In another positive for the Sky Blues, last year’s leading goalscorer Jake McIntyre made his first appearance of the season.

Josh Schwarze. Picture Mark Wilson

Photo Gallery: Altona North vs Gisborne 

McIntyre came on with 25 minutes remaining. Ciantar said he was still a long way from playing the whole 90 minutes.

Stratos Cantaro missed the game through illness, while Callan Haynes remains on the sidelines with a broken ankle.

Ciantar said this year the team has a bit more depth than it did last year.

Gisborne hosts Melbourne University this Saturday.

“Hopefully we can come away with the three points,” Ciantar said.

Meanwhile, Sunbury United gave up an early lead against Williamstown and had to settle for a draw.

Sunbury hit the lead in the first half through Tomislav-Ante Trbuhovich, before doubling it in the 65th minute through Sime Brzoja.

Williamstown reduced the margin in the 75th minute after scoring one against the flow of play.

Williamstown levelled the scores in the 90th minute with a great strike from outside the box.

Neither team was able to score in injury time.

Sunbury sits 1-1-0 after two matches. It faces Craigieburn City on Saturday.


Western Eagles lift their game for tougher demands

North Sunshine Eagles undone by cruise control