For a second successive year, Diggers Rest will have to play every week throughout the finals if it is to lift the Riddell District Football League premiership cup.

The minor premiers had their first shot at earning a grand final spot on Saturday, but were overrun by Rupertswood in a qualifying final.

The Burras led by 11 points at the last change, but were kept goalless in the last, losing 13.10 (88)-9.8 (62).

Burras playing coach Jamie Lobb said they failed to make the most of chances earlier in the game.

“They were a bit classier than us today, they got the job done in the end,” he said.

“After the first five minutes we probably controlled a lot of the time up until three-quarter time.

“We allowed them to get a couple of cheap ones and we didn’t hit the scoreboard enough when we got the chance.

“They got a couple of goals in a row and they got their confidence up and about and they’re hard to stop when they get that way.

“We’ll learn from that and hopefully we’ll get another crack at them in two weeks.”

After an even first half the Burras took control in the third quarter.

Diggers Rest

Diggers Rest’s Thomas Taylor. Picture Shawn Smits.

PHOTO GALLERY: Diggers Rest vs Rupertswood 

They couldn’t get the margin out by more than two goals, keeping the Sharks in the game.

It would prove costly.

Thomas Taylor was the only Burra to kick multiple goals, finishing the game with three goals.

Lobb said it was an even performance across the board.

He said Cale Morton and Taylor Hine were their best two.

“Apart from that, there wasn’t too many standouts,” he said.

Lobb was upbeat about playing the preliminary final. The Burras will face Wallan on Saturday at Romsey Park.

“It’s do or die for us next week,” he said.

“Our form off a bye or a week off has never been great.

“It’s not the worst thing for us. When we won it last year, we went through the prelim.

“Hopefully it’s just a repeat of that.

“We’ll go out and have a crack at whoever we play and hopefully have another crack at Rupo.”

The Burras will be hoping for ruckman Sean Egan to return.

Egan, who has been battling a knee injury, played in the reserves semi-final on Sunday.

Lobb said if he pulled up well from that, they would consider bringing him back in this week.

The Burras reserves and under-19s both won their knockout semi-finals and will play in preliminary finals as well.

The Burras C-grade netballers are through to the grand final, beating Rupertswood on Saturday.