Diggers Rest ended a losing streak against Rupertswood on Saturday in the Riddell District Football League.

The Burras were quite aware that they hadn’t beaten the Sharks since round five in 2016 and were keen to make sure the streak didn’t continue.

At three-quarter time, the Sharks looked the better team after a good third quarter, but the Burras had other ideas.

A six goal to nil final quarter ended the drought, with the Burras winning 12.12 (84)-8.8 (56).

Burras’ coach Jamie Lobb said it was good to tick off one of their aims for the season early on.

“We hadn’t beat them since round 5 2016 before today, it’s something we spoke about before the game,” he said.

“We know they are a quality side and it would be an arm wrestle all day, we just had to make sure we controlled it when they got on top.

“We did that sometimes and other times didn’t get on top of it quick enough.

“We had them for most of the last quarter.”

Lobb said the benefits of having a really good pre-season on the track had shown through in the last quarter when it was needed.

“A few of their guys may have told us we were old and slow at three-quarter time, it wasn’t the case coming in the last quarter.”

Diggers Rest player Sean Egan

Diggers Rest’s Sean Egan. Picture Shawn Smits.

PHOTO GALLERY: Diggers Rest vs Ruperstswood 

Deven Costigan kicked five goals for the Burras.

Lobb said Stuart Clarke was best on ground in his 200th match. Clarke kicked two goals, including the one to put them in front in the last quarter.

“You can’t question Stu,” Lobb said. “I gave him best on ground. His impact around the contest was massive.

“He is probably the hardest worker at the club and has been around for a long time. We put a bit of an emphasise on milestone games, so we didn’t want to lose it.”

Lobb said Alec Del Papa and Lukey Delahey in their first games for the club were good, as was Sean Egan in the ruck.

The win is a vital one for the reigning premiers, who have a tough start to the season.

They face Riddell in the grand final rematch this weekend, before facing Wallan the following week. David Morrice, who missed the game against his old side through suspension, is expected to return to face the Bombers.

In other results, Melton Centrals had a day out against Rockbank, winning 35-10 (220)-0.2 (2). Dylan Weir kicked 12 goals in a best on ground performance for the winners, as half the team hit the scoreboard.

Macedon won the Puka Up Cup for a second straight year, beating Riddell 11.9 (75)-8.13 (61).

Woodend-Hesket outplayed Lancefield, winning 18.17 (125)-4.1 (25), while there was no surprises as Wallan beat Broadford, 25.21 (171)-8.11 (59).


Rupertswood made to pay for poor performance