The Ballarat Football League has concluded its investigation into a post-match incident that occurred after Darley’s win against North Ballarat City on June 30.
The league initiated the investigation, following a post-game melee that involved some Darley officials, players and supporters. No one from North Ballarat City was involved.
A statement on Darley’s Facebook page last Wednesday said coach Heath Scotland and ruckman Abe Kur were both referred to the tribunal following their involvement in the melee.
Both pleaded guilty to being involved in a melee and were handed reprimands following a hearing last Monday night.
Kur was also charged with kneeing a spectator during the melee and received a two-match suspension. The Devils have appealed that decision to the Victorian Country Football League independent tribunal.
Devils acting president Mark Shelly said they were appealing both the verdict and penalty.
He said while they had been hopeful of getting the hearing heard last week, it will now be heard this week.
The suspension would put Kur on 16 matches suspended. Under AFL Victoria rules, a player with 16 games suspended “shall be automatically deregistered and not allowed further registration with the same or another club or league”.
Shelly said at this stage they were just concerned about appealing the two-match suspension.
The league handed down its sanctions for the club on Thursday.
The club has already banned some of the spectators involved, while president Ray Newton has been stood down.
The league’s board endorsed the suspension of Newton, who can’t hold an official role for the rest of the season.
The league has handed out life bans to four Darley supporters, with the supporters unable to attend any Ballarat FNL matches. The league is still trying to track down one supporter involved in the melee.
Darley has been issued with a $5000 fine.
Sessions to help committee members and coaches deal with conflict resolution will be held, while the club has to host a code of conduct session for all members.