Bourke Street’s ‘Trolley Man’ has vowed to have a good crack at staying out of trouble after being granted bail.

Michael Rogers was thrust into the spotlight after ramming knife-wielding attacker Hassan Khalif Shire Ali with a shopping trolley as he lunged at two police officers with a knife.

Now he has been banned from central Melbourne as part of his strict bail conditions after facing Melbourne Magistrates Court on November 17.

Rogers, 46, turned himself in to police at West Melbourne. He was subsequently charged with two counts of burglary, two counts of theft and committing an indictable offence while on bail. Melbourne Magistrates Court heard Rogers had broken into a city cafe the day before the November 9 Bourke Street attack and stolen $500 from a till and a basket. He is also accused of bike theft.

Police had opposed bail, arguing there was an “unacceptable risk” of Rogers committing further offences.

However, magistrate Bob Kumar granted bail, saying the risk could be overcome with stringent conditions.

After leaving court, Rogers said: “I’m glad I’ve been given another chance and I’ll give it my best shot. It’s nice to know that people do still think that I’m worthy of moving on in life.”

Rogers said he believed he could stay out of trouble provided he complied with one of his bail conditions – to stay out of Melbourne’s CBD.

“I think [I can] so long as I stay out of the city,” he said. “I’m not gonna lie, it’s gonna be a task.

“Look, my goal is to pay people back and do the right thing and that’s what I’m gonna do.”

Rogers is only allowed to be in the city for court appearances, legal appointments and the Court Integrated Services Program. He must comply with the requirements of the program, which include not taking drugs.

Other bail conditions include residing at a Caroline Springs apartment that has been rented for him by the National Homeless Collective, reporting daily to Caroline Springs police and abiding by a 9pm-6am curfew.

Rogers’ lawyer Melinda Walker argued he had a unique opportunity to turn his life around due to money that had been raised for him.

A crowdfunding campaign “Not all heroes wear capes” raised $145,000 for Rogers before being closed to donations on Saturday.

Rogers is due to reappear in court on November 27.


The Age