Residents around Benloch in the Macedon Ranges were told to shelter indoors during a bushfire last Tuesday.
An emergency warning was issued about the blaze just after 2pm last Tuesday, urging residents to shelter indoors as homes and lives were at threat.
The fire was burning near Kitchenhams Road in Benloch and travelling in an easterly direction. The alert was downgraded to a watch and act several hours later. Authorities said the fire was under control just before 5pm.
Water-bombing aircraft, 45 fire trucks and almost 200 firefighters battled the blaze.
Crews remained at the scene overnight while the fire continued to burn within the perimeter.
CFA incident controller John Pearce said the fire had started on a property and had spread quickly.
“It was noticed by a property owner who phoned it through,” Mr Pearce said.
“It was windy at the time when it started, and it is extremely dry.
“Fencing had been lost, but no structures were affected.”
Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Michael Efron said it was 40 degrees at the Kilmore Gap weather station at 2.30pm on the day of the fire, with moderate westerly and north-westerly winds.
There was a total fire ban across the state last Tuesday.
– The Age