A family left homeless after their Truganina house was destroyed by fire is asking residents to “learn from our mistakes”.

Tony Trung Pham, his wife, nine-year-old son and elderly parents have been forced from their home of 16 years after a fire ripped through the ducted heating system in the roof in July.

Mr Pham said the fire spread quickly through the ceiling cavity and was fully alight before his family realised they were in any danger.

“While at work, I got a phone call that our home was on fire,” he said. “My parents were out and my son was at school … my partner tried to put the fire out, but it was too intense.

“The fire investigator told us, by the time she realised the roof cavity was alight, the roof would have been well and truly gone.”

Mr Pham said everyone was safe but his family was “emotionally devastated”.

“We have lost everything,” he said. “Our whole life’s hard work and memories of our beautiful home – all turned to ash.

“My aging parents are living out of a van and my partner, son and I are living from couch to couch until we can … build a new roof.”

The home was uninsured and the Phams now face a $22,000 repair bill.

An online Facebook crowdfunding campaign has so far raised $6000 to help replace the roof.

“Let this be a warning to triple check your insurance policies are up to date,” Mr Pham said. “Get a professional to check your ducted heater unit yearly, tell your family you love them and appreciate your family and the home you have created, because it could all change in a flash.

“We wish upon no one the devastation we are going through.”

Donate at: bit.ly/2k0nngU