Melton has returned to the Ballarat Football League winners’ list.

After a strong start to the season, the Bloods had dropped their past three matches and fallen out of the top six.

Against third-placed North Ballarat City on Saturday, they showed heartening signs they’re regaining their form.

No more than a goal separated the two teams at any of the breaks, with the Bloods leading each time.

City hit the front in the last quarter, before the Bloods kicked the last three goals to grab a 7.15 (57)-6.7 (43) victory.

Bloods’ coach Aaron Tymms said that while it was good to get the win, had they been able to convert more efficiently, they could have won by a bit more.

“We played some good footy,” he said. “There wasn’t much difference in what we were doing to the last couple of weeks.

“The main thing has been trying to not turn the footy over as much … it wasn’t as bad this week.

“We have been turning the ball over badly at stages.”

Tymms said his players had displayed a bit more composure with the ball in hand late in the game – and that had helped them get over the line.

He said that was something they had been working on.

“They hit the lead with 12 minutes to go and it was a little stressful,” he said.

“We were good at looking after the ball early on in the year, but have been turning it over too much lately.

“We’ve put an emphasis on controlling the footy.”

The Carter boys – Liam and Ryan – were the Bloods’ best, along with ruckman Ben Archard and Connor Griffiths.

Liam Carter and Matt Denham were the pick of the goalkickers with two apiece.

Despite the win, the Bloods remain outside the top six in seventh.

“We’re only a game behind third,” Tymms said.

“The next couple of weeks are important to get wins on the board. The next four games are against sides that are below us.

“Hopefully, we’ll get a good run and can keep playing good football. We can’t take the foot off the pedal.”

In other results, East Point hammered Darley.

The Kangaroos had a massive 33 scoring shots to 17, winning 16.17 (113)-6.11 (47).

Ladder leader Bacchus Marsh returned to the winners’ list with a 16.19 (115)-10.6 (66) win against Sebastopol.

Aaron Willitts and Ben Speight kicked four goals apiece, with Jake Owen kicking three in a best-on-ground performance.

Melton South returned to reality after its first win of the season, losing to the previously winless Redan 17.25 (127)-8.10 (58).