Lalor Warriors’ return to form has continued with a second straight win in the North Metro Cricket Association’s Jika Shield.

After losing their first six games, the Warriors have finally shown the form that has had them in the finals mix the past few years.

The Warriors backed up a solid win against Northern Socials in the previous round, with a thriller against Keon Park on Saturday.

The match, played as a one-dayer after a wash-out last week, went down to the final over of the day.

It was a relieved Warriors captain-coach Angelo Pereira after the match.

“That’s a couple of games in a row now,” he said. “Hopefully we can get another win before Christmas and make it three in a row.

“We’re still realistic that we are a few games outside the top four.”

The Warriors made 160 from their 40 overs, bowled out on the final ball.

Todd Hughes was the pick of the batsmen with 65 – no other batsman passed 20.

It was Hughes’ fifth straight 50.

Pereira said Hughes was enjoying being able to concentrate on his own game.

“The pressure has been taken off him,” he said.

“He can just concentrate on batting and bowling and not having to worry about captaining or coaching.

“I think he’s knocking on the door of a 100, but we’ll take a 50 off him every week.”

Keon Park looked on track to get the runs after tea, but the Warriors slowed them down in the final
10 overs.

In the end, the Warriors restricted them enough to seal a six-run win. Keon Park finished 7-154.

“It was a nail biter,” Pereira said.

“Early on we pegged them back and got a quicker start than them.

“They came out after drinks and played well. The last 10 overs we really consolidated and tied them down. [But] They left their run too late.”

Lakmal Keerthirathna and Ben Gorski took two wickets each for the Warriors.

The Warriors face Northern Socials in the final game before Christmas. The Warriors defeated them last time they played.

Meanwhile, Rivergum suffered a rare loss, this time against Heidelberg West.