Diggers Rest has quickly turned its attention to this weekend’s preliminary final against Rupertswood, after a semi-final loss to Macedon on Saturday.

Not much separated Diggers Rest and Macedon in the Riddell District Football League second semi-final, but the Burras were made to pay for small mistakes.

The Cats capitalised when needed, claiming the win 9.14 (68)-8.8 (56), to go through to their first grand final since 1975.

Burras’ coach Shaun Sims said the match showed there was little between all the top sides.

“We probably let ourselves down I reckon,” he said.

“Some areas of the game, including the second quarter, cost us, which was disappointing but the other three quarters were pretty good.

“They defended extremely well again and are really organised around the ball … if you drop off your intensity and the things you have to look after, they will hurt you.”

“We made some silly decisions with the ball and when to go to the ball and the man, and that hurt us a tiny bit too.”

The Burras were left to rue a poor second quarter kicking with the wind, when the Cats outscored them.

Most of that quarter they played with 17 men after Andrew Tyquin was yellow-carded.

The Cats led by 13 points at the main break and extended it to 18 heading into the final quarter.

The Burras had plenty of the ball in the last quarter, but couldn’t find enough goals to hit the front.

They reduced the margin back to 11 points and it could have quite easily been back under a goal when Matthew Krul marked right in front of goal. But Krul played on and was caught holding the ball and that ended the Burras’ chances.

Mark Freeth kicked four goals for the Burras, while Krul and Stuart Clarke kicked two goals each, with no other player kicking a goal.

Patrick Jackson and Freeth were the Burras’ best.

Sims said the side would quickly regroup ahead of its preliminary final clash against Rupertswood on Saturday.

The Sharks held off Riddell in their semi-final.

“For the majority of it, I think we played quite well but just let ourselves down,” Sims said.

“The result will burn for some of the guys and hopefully they’ll respond this week.

“You can see there’s not much in it, which is a positive thing.”

Sims was hopeful that skipper Tom Gleeson would return to the side. They decided not to risk him on Saturday, with the side having the double chance.

The Burras reserves will also play-off in a preliminary final after losing to Wallan. The Burras face the Sunbury Kangaroos in a rematch of last year’s grand final.