The state government has called for VicRoads to fast-track works on Bacchus Marsh Road following the 10th fatality on the road in the past five years.

The 47 kilometre stretch of road from Corio to the outskirts of Bacchus Marsh was last year listed by the Victorian government as one of the state’s 20 most dangerous roads.

On July 19, a driver died after her car allegedly crossed double lines and clipped a truck near Lara.

This latest fatality prompted Roads Minister Luke Donnellan’s request to start the $45 million planned safety works on Bacchus Marsh Road as soon as possible.

“Nothing is more important than keeping people safe on our roads and my heart goes out to those involved in the collision on Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road,” Mr Donnellan said.

“I have asked VicRoads to find ways to fast-track planned safety improvements to Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road.

“All the work that can be brought forward, will be.”

Upgrades to the notorious stretch include wire rope barriers, rumble strips, new overtaking lanes, wider centre-lines, installing new roundabouts and resurfacing the road between Little River-Ripley Road and Ballan Road.

A temporary 80km/h speed limit will be introduced in coming weeks, and new rumble strips are expected to be installed in the next fortnight, Mr Donnellan said.