Mercy Health has received a $3.1 million funding boost to help it cope with one of the worst flu seasons on record.

The money is part of $115 million in state government funding to help ease the pressure on hospitals.

Health Minister Jill Hennessy said this year’s flu season had caused a surge in people visiting emergency departments, with more than 14,000 flu cases reported across the state.

In Wyndham, there has been a 55 per cent increase in flu cases this year compared to last year.

According to health department data, 443 Wyndham residents were diagnosed with the flu as of October 3, compared to 285 at the same time last year.

Ms Hennessy said the funding would support hospitals to ensure a record number of patients can get the care they need from emergency departments faster, for the remainder of the year.

“This flu season has hit us hard. Every single one of our public hospitals has been working overtime so Victorian can continue to have access to the care they need – when they need it,” she said.

“Our dedicated doctors, nurses, paramedics and other healthcare workers have done a remarkable job in the face of unprecedented demand.”

Mercy Health health services chief executive Linda Mellors said the $3.1 million would be shared between Werribee Mercy Hospital and Mercy Hospital for Women.

“Between July and September 2017, 104 people were admitted to the hospital with influenza, a 58 per cent increase (43 influenza admissions) compared to the same period in 2016,” Adjunct Professor Mellors said.

“Mercy Health is committed to working collaboratively with the Victorian government to continue to meet the health needs of the growing Wyndham community.”