A number of illegal burn-offs has prompted Macedon Ranges council to remind residents that fire restrictions are still in place.
Burn-offs and the use of some machinery remain prohibited throughout the shire until the CFA officially calls an end to the fire danger period.
The council’s acting manager community safety, Michael Dyt, has warned residents that anyone who burns off without a permit during the fire restriction period risks being fined.
“Police take a zero tolerance approach to those who light fires during the fire danger period and heavy penalties apply,” Mr Dyt said.
CFA group officer Ian Hays said life would be much easier for CFA volunteers if residents checked what restrictions were in place before starting a fire.
He said all local brigades had been called out to illegal burn-offs this year, particularly in Woodend.
Sunbury and Bulla residents also cannot burn off yet, with the fire restriction period still in place in Hume.
Restrictions are usually lifted about May 1 but it is dependant on local conditions each year.
Once restrictions are lifted, Mr Hays has asked residents to register their burn-offs to help avoid the CFA being called out unnecessarily.
Register a supervised burn-off at 1800 668 511.
Visit mrsc.vic.gov.au and hume.vic.gov.au to find out if restrictions are still in place in your area.